Monday, August 2, 2010

Stood Up

Donnie was an old friend from high school. We reconnected through Facebook, either the best or worst social networking site ever. He added me as a friend and I suggested we grab a beer to catch up. I hadn’t seen Donnie in about 15 years. We make plans for a Tuesday evening to meet at a bar by his house. I’m a few minutes late because I can’t find the place. Donnie calls to give me directions and waits outside for me. He looks good.
We get inside and order beers. We catch up on old times. He’s divorced and has kids. Of course the question is asked why you are single. I give the standard response, I guess I haven’t’ met the right guy. We discuss dating and how hard it can be. We seem to be getting along very well and I’m amazingly comfortable with him. I’m also attracted to him. He’s wearing work boots and a ball cap. His hands are rough and calloused. He’s a man’s man.
My friend, Lora, is texting me inviting us over. I mention this to Donnie and he says let’s go. We stop, get some beer, and head to Lora’s. We hang out on the patio and have a few beers. Two of Lora’s guy friends are there. One asks how long Donnie and I have been dating. I laugh and look at him. He says this is our first date. I said I didn’t realize this was a date. He says it is, so we cheers to our first “date”. Donnie has his arm around me and I have my hand on his knee and it seems like the most natural thing. There was just a connection with us. We’re just sitting around talking. At one point, another friend, Leah texts me and says she has free tickets to a comedy club and asks us to go. I pass along the message and invited everyone there. Donnie says he would like to go and would love to take me out to dinner before the show.
We leave Lora’s and I drive Donnie back to his car., which we had left at the bar. We get there and are talking in the car. He mentions that he hasn’t really dated in awhile because he’s scared of opening up and getting hurt. I agree with him and tell him I feel the same way, although I date often. I tell him I like him and would like to hang out again. He says the same thing back. He leans over and kisses me. This was a great kiss. I like to think of myself as a kissing connoisseur and Donnie was amazing. We kiss for a few minutes in the car and finally say bye. He says he will talk to me tomorrow. When I got home I get a text from him. “Thank you for tonight, Shannon. I had a great time. It was so good to see you.” I’m thinking this is a good sign.
Wednesday afternoon comes around and I haven’t heard from him so I text asking what time he thinks he will get off work. No response. Finally, about 7:30 I met up with my friends and still haven’t from him. I send another text asking if we should hold him a seat. No response. Later, he texts saying he got off work late and he’s not feeling well. OK. Next day, he texts he’s so sorry, etc. and calls me gorgeous. I’m a sucker for this. After consulting with a guy friend, I text telling him he missed a good show and to text me when he felt better. My guy friend said I should give him one get out of jail free card. I hear from him Friday night and he asks what I was doing. I was at the Outdoor Flick at Crown Center with friends. We text back and forth a bit.
Saturday I text him early afternoon and ask what he’s doing. We text back and forth and start to make plans to hang out that night. He asks what I want to do. My friend, Lora, was having people over so I ask if he would like to go over there again. Then, nothing. He never text back. It’s been several days and I haven’t heard anything from him.
How is someone that rude? At least text me and say something came up or be a man and say you don’t want to hang out. I still don’t understand how this happens. He was interested at first. How does this change a few days later? I at least let someone know I’m not interested anymore. I will send a nice email or text. I think it’s important to be honest. I wouldn’t care but he really was an amazing kisser and I was looking forward to kissing him again. Oh well, his loss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment