Thursday, August 26, 2010

Awkward

Steven sent me an email on match.com. We exchanged emails back and forth for about two weeks. Finally, I suggested getting together. I gave him my phone number and he called that night. Our phone conversation was very short and it seemed like he was in a hurry to get off the phone. He really wanted to go a movie, which I thought was an odd first date choice but he mentioned it several times so I agreed. We were going to do dinner after the movie. I was starting to have doubts but had already agreed to the date and felt bad canceling.

I met him at the theater and he didn’t quite look like his pictures. They were definitely from several years ago. We chatted before the movie a bit. Steven was very awkward and shy. I tried to keep the conversation flowing, hoping something would bring him out of his shell. Finally, the movie started and the painful conversation was over.

After the movie he still wanted to go to dinner. I couldn’t bare the thought of sitting with him for another hour, awkwardly trying to have more conversation. I told him my friend had called during the movie and had an emergency so I had to leave.

I feel so bad for doing this and have never done this on a date. I should have just been honest and told him I wasn’t feeling any chemistry. I really probably shouldn’t have even gone on the date to begin with. I wasn’t feeling it but was trying to give him a chance and be more open minded. I feel like there’s a fine line between being too picky and not picky enough and I struggle with that line.

4 comments:

  1. Damn those shy guys that don't put off the right things..

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! So you pulled a Charlotte? The part about you saying a friend called with an emergency made me think of that one episode where she has Carrie call her because the date is so bad=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you were being honest and kind! Good for you for having the courage to be honest even though you felt bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it wrong that I kinda don't want you to settle down with one guy? If that happens I assume this blog will be over and at this point I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

    ReplyDelete